Here is the basic cake recipe I
use to make a delicious sponge cake, quickly and easily. I've
found this recipe to be reliable and always appreciated by friends and
family. The ingredients listed are enough for 6-8 people.
- 175g (6oz) butter, unsalted and at room temperature.
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar.
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 3 medium size eggs.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (mark 4). Slightly less (160 degrees C) if you have a fan oven.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large bowl and mix with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the eggs and add to the butter and sugar. Mix thoroughly until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Fold in the flour with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two non-stick cake tins
and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and slightly firm to
- Allow to cool in the tins for a couple of minutes before
turning out onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely (roughly an
hour or so).
The simplest way to serve the cake is to spread
your favourite jam (strawberry or raspberry) onto one side of the cake
before placing the other side on top. Then simply dust the top
with icing sugar by sifting a little through a sieve onto the
If you want to make it a little bit more special then you can add a
layer of buttercream inside the cake as well as the jam. You can
also add strawberries and raspberries to the top or inside for